Pages

Tuesday 31 August 2010

Sods law in action

8 weeks ago we put an easy-up pole (10ft wide, great for the kids) in the garden. 8 weeks later and I can count the number of times we've been in the pool on one hand (with a couple of fingers to spare.)

I've spent hours every week fighting a losing battle to keep the darned thing clean, in the hope that perhaps the sun would put his hat on and we'd be saying "hip hip hooray" and doing other mad dogs and Englishmen type stuff. But, oooooooh no, Mr Sun was not in the mood to play. This summer has been very autumnal, and at times somewhat winterish.

So, this weekend I decided it was time for the pool to go. It's supposed to be easy to empty. I say "supposed" but things are never what they are "supposed" to be. After 3 elapsed days, hundred of buckets tossed on to saturated grass(it was raining whilst I did some of this) and some wet clothes I finally finished emptying the pool this evening. I pondered the near hilarious situation of the "law of sod" coming in to play as today has been the sunniest day we've had for weeks. Okay, there was a bit of a chill in the air because it's been quite windy so we wouldn't have gone in the pool. But, what's the betting it is an absolute scorcher tomorrow or for the rest of this week?

Well, the weatherman says sunny and clear 20C tomorrow and Friday with overcast days either side, so I'm okay 'cos these guys are ALWAYS RIGHT. Right? WRONG!

I'm might take a picture of the wonderful momento the pool has left - A 10ft wide brown circle on my previously perfect lawn.

No comments: