Pages

Wednesday 8 September 2010

Local stuff - Norwich Castle

Remember a long time ago I said I'd start sticking the occasional piece in here about Norwich and the surrounding area?

Well, I did a couple of articles and then I forgot about it, until now.

So, I figured I'd prattle on about Norwich Castle. Afterall, it is pretty much the centre piece of the City.

Norwich castle was built in 1067 at the request of William the Conqueror originally as a motte and bailey(mound) with a wooden keep, which was replaced by the current stone keep at the around 1120. The old structure was more about defending an important City such as Norwich (which was the 2nd largest City in England at the time), but the stone castle was originally  a royal palace and later it was used a prison. It has been a museum for the past 126 years.

Norwich Castle

The Siege Of Norwich Castle: A Story Of The Last Struggle Against The Conqueror (1893)
History of the Religious Orders and Communities, and of the Hospitals and Castle, of Norwich [Ed. by D. Turner].
Castle Meadow: a Story of Norwich a Hundred Years Ago.

No comments: