Pages

Thursday 2 September 2010

Mediaeval me

Last bank holiday monday (30th August) we went to Pensthorpe.
If you've seen Springwatch on BBC you'll probably know about Pensthorpe. For those of you who haven't heard about it, Pensthorpe is a nature reserve "set in 500 acres of beautiful countryside with meadows, woodland and lakes." Basically there are lots of waterfowl, and other birds, plus other animals such as red squirrels.

This weekend there was also a "mediaeval spectacular" with people dressed in ye olde garb, knights on horseback, archery, crossbow shooting etc.

I did try my hand at using a simple crossbow (pretty  successfully too). I did fancy having a go at archery (I've done it once before and really enjoyed it) but they only had a kiddies version, so I opted against it.

I also got roped into trying on a knight's helmet - here's a couple of pictures.

They encouraged Sir Chatalot (aka Luke) to wallop me over the head with a sword, demanding more pocket money!

Oh, and here's a bonus picture I found whilst uploading these. It's me again at Pensthorpe showing off my archery skills a few months ago.


Overall, it was a good day at Pensthorpe. the only bad things was the pesky wasps!

No comments: